Tuesday 2 August 2011

Decisions decisions...

So, here I am. I have been practicing yoga consistently since January 2010, when a good friend said "Hey. Why don't you come to hot yoga with me?" I went (terrified) and haven't looked back since. I fell in love. At first it was the exercise. The sweat freaked me out, but I quickly got used to it and loved the way I felt after a good class. But soon after, I started to realize there were more benefits than just a good workout. I began to come away from classes feeling inspired by something the teacher had said. I began to link breath to movement, which helped to quiet the hamster on the wheel (a.k.a. my brain!) I felt like all I wanted to do was more yoga! I read countless yoga blogs and websites. In fact, my husband can't understand how I can be on Facebook for hours at a time almost every night. I'm sure he thinks I'm creeping an ex-boyfriend or something, but in reality, I'm reading all the posts of all the yoga-related pages that I have "Liked". I take my inspiration in any form I can get it, as many times a day as I can get it. Yoga has fully engulfed me, and I wouldn't have it any other way. And that's kind of why I'm here. I have been wrestling with the decision of whether or not to take a Yoga Teacher Training course. I have explored my options and gone over and over the pros and cons in my head. Unfortunately, the hamster in my head is a bit strong-willed and he seems to only tell me the cons of my decisions, which is why I haven't made any decisions yet. However, I went to see "Friends With Benefits" yesterday. Mila Kunis and Justin Timberlake are awesome... and what does that have to do with yoga? Well, I told you, I take my inspiration as it comes. Who am I to argue? Anyway, I won't give away the story, but basically the part when Dylan's father tells him that life is too short, really got to me. I almost stood up in the theatre to give a resounding "Hell yeah!" (But the hamster wouldn't allow it.) Regardless, it spoke to me. And that's when I decided - I'm doin' it! Less emphasis on the mind (hamster) making all the important choices in my life and more emphasis on following the heart. I guess that's where the Sparrow part of it comes in. I have a bird thing. Ask my husband... there are figurines all over the house! I love those feathery little critters. And if I had to pick an animal to represent my heart, it would be the sweetest little one you can find - my sparrow. So that's that. I will be starting my Teacher Training in the fall, and I wanted to place to document my journey. And I think I've found it. I hope you can be a part of it :) Thanks for observing the first flight of the Sparrow Yogi.

Namaste, ERIN

1 comment: